Research and Evaluation- Vaccine Hesitancy Study in India- Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) with support from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF)Under the guidance of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
The Universal Immunization Program (UIP) of the Government of India aims to achieve full immunization of all target-age children and mothers in India through state-and district-specific delivery of vaccines. To augment its on-going efforts around immunization, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India, entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). Under the guidance of this MoU, MoHFW and the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) collaboratively established an Immunization Technical Support Unit (ITSU) in collaboration with other partners. The core purpose of ITSU is to enhance institutional capacity for designing effective strategies for implementation of UIP by improving the access, reach, quality and coverage of the routine immunization program in India and creating an efficient vaccine delivery system, for both existing and future vaccines. In order to better understand and facilitate the immunisation program strengthening, the ITSU aims to address the critical communication gaps in the routine immunization program of the Government. TRIOs have been assigned to study the vaccine hesitancy in India.
TRIOs services would include
- Designing baseline line study, in consultation with PHFI/ITSU team/Government of India.
- Refinement and finalization of study methodology in consultation with PHFI/ITSU team
- Pretesting and finalization of the study instruments and CAPI programming, develop online data transfer protocols
- Hiring and training of enumerators and supervisors and quantitative data collection from primary care givers of children of age 0-23 months, for understanding the root cause of vaccine hesitancy, at the Household level
- Qualitative information collection, through In Depth Interviews (IDIs) with CDPs, Medical Officers, Health Workers, Religious leaders and other key informants and Focused Group discussions with mother , fathers and grandmothers to access the nature of vaccine hesitancy, at community level
- Quality assurance and real time monitoring and reporting through Whatsapp
- Documentation and report dissemination to the stakeholders
This study is of great importance to strengthen the immunisation program in the country. It would provide more insights into demand side of the vaccination program of the Government and help in developing effective communication strategies to alleviate vaccine preventable diseases through increased vaccine coverage among the target populations in the country.